Friday, January 04, 2008

Reading Robin Hood in China

This semester, I've been teaching an English reading class. Its been going ok and I've tried to supplement the passages from their textbook with some outside articles on China or other things that may interest them whenever I can find them in magazines or online. Lately my outside articles have been running dry and I'm left trying to come up with some other ideas.

I was recently thinking back to my earlier years when I was learning reading in school. In particular, I thought of a time in elementary school when every class in the third grade did a month-long unit on fairy tales. It just so happened that I had been given an "alternative" version of Little Red Riding Hood at my Maryknoll orientation and saw it when cleaning a desk drawer the other day. What a good opportunity to introduce the concept of point-of-view, I thought!

I had some copies made (takes about a week fighting the bureaucratic copy machine lady here) of The Maligned Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood (小红帽 - Little Red Hat, in the Chinese translation). In class, I had the students read both versions and we discussed. Many were familiar with the story of Little Red Riding Hood, but they really enjoyed The Maligned Wolf, which told the story in a first-person narrative from the Wolf's point-of-view.

At this point, you are probably reading and wondering, "what does this have to with Robin Hood, the title of this blog post?" Stay with me, I'm getting there...

This week, we followed up on point-of-view with a heavily abridged version of Robin Hood. The consensus of the class was the Robin Hood is a noble character, after all, few things could be more noble than to steal and give to the poor. We looked at the story differently though, I asked everyone to pretend that they were either Prince John or the Sheriff of Nottingham from the story and defend their actions. The story of Robin Hood quickly changed into how the prince was merely trying to hold together a country in the absence of its king. Robin Hood became a pesky and troublesome menace to the "harmonious society" of England. As my students to frequently tell me, "every coin has two sides."

For homework, I asked the students to write a mini-sequel to Robin Hood, where the English folk hero visits China in the year 2008. I've included some of the stories below (which may make for a long read)...

Robin Hood come to China today. He is a heartful, humor, rich, hardworking man. He have a harmonious family, a beautiful wife and three lovely children. He can speak four kinds of languages: English, Japanese, Chinese and French. Robin Hood doesn't need to steal money, because steal money is violate law. He owns his company, which is a charitable organization. He contribute to poor peoples and offer many foods, clothes, breads and so on. Robin Hood often go to orphanage and visit orphans. He brings many delicious foods, toys and books to them. He also tell stories and perform magic to them sometimes. They laugh out loud and feel very happy. Robin Hood is a hero in many people's mind.
In this next version, Robin Hood has a moral awakening...
I think Robin Hood come to China will turn over a new leaf. Because China people is very kindness and very friendly and will help each others. So he feel very warmth and decide breaking a bad habit.

Today Robin Hood make a speech for China. The topic is: "Turn over a new leaf." He said,
Before, I have terrible habit, it is thief. Long, long ago, I often steal something in my country because I want to help the poor man. I think I haven't the power to help them otherwise. Until now, I found I did everything is wrong before. This way is very immoral. I want all people here correct their faults once they are aware of them. Repent and be saved.
The people can listen to Robin Hood and turn over a new leaf.
And here he changes professions!
Robin Hood come to China. He made a great effort and finally he was to be a famous clothes designer. One day, I went shopping with my friend. We passed a clothes shop. Suddenly, we saw the clothes of Robin Hood was fashionable and colorful. Robin Hood added the old style to his new clothes which was come from the style of old England. Eventually he made a great progress as the Chinese people really fond of his design. He became a famous hero again.
Here Robin Hood tests the waters with his knowledge of political science...
Robin Hood come to China. He gets warm welcome by Chinese people. And then he calls on Hu Jintao, Chinese President. They discuss how to return Taiwan. Robin Hood puts forward many acceptable tactics. These tactics are very useful for China. Chinese government carry out "one nation, two systems" so as to achieve the unity of China. Such as Hong Kong and Macau. We expect a new China next year. At that time, Robin Hood become a well known people in China.
And falls in love with a beautiful Chinese girl...
800 years ago, Robin Hood robbed the crown jewels to help the poor in England. The king was very angry and the army arrested Robin Hood.

Robin Hood escaped to China today. When Robin Hood come to China, he has no house to live, very hungry, dressed in ancient clothes. He is different from other people in China. As we know he has yellow hair, blue eyes and is very different from all the people around him. In that time, a beautiful Chinese girl appears and Robin Hood falls in love with her. They love each other in one sight. The beautiful girl teaches Robin Hood Chinese, how to use a computer, etc.

After three years, they get engaged and get much money to contribute to benevolent to help the children. Under Robin Hood's help, all the people have good life in China. Robin Hood gets married to the Chinese girl and have four children.
And my personal favorite (as it involves me)...
Robin Hood just keep walking and walking in the forest at midnight. Suddenly, he trips and tumbles down. It seems a very long time. When Robin Hood wakes up he hardly can open his eye for the intense sunlight. He can feel a lot of big object pass by him and making a loud noise. He opens his eye and is nearly frightened out of his wits as the terrible and chaotic world around him.

Robin Hood can't find King Richard. He is just shouting but no one can understand him. People around him treat him as a madman and get away from him quickly. After a long time, he calm down. Robin Hood felt upset, but nothing he could do. He just walk alone on the street with no destination.

A beautiful woman and a handsome man, Janet and Scott, go out of their school for lunch. Walking from the opposite one, they come across a strange man. Thinking for a while, Scott come to recognize this man who is his idol, Robin Hood. He tells Janet, but she laugh at him. Even though it is unbelievable, Scott still want to talk to the man.

"Excuse me, eh, Robin Hood?"
"What? You can speak English? Wow! I'm Robin Hood."

Robin Hood tells his story to Scott and Janet and they would like to find a way for Robin Hood to go back to his time period, but they fail eventually. Robin Hood lives in Scott's house and starts to get used to his life a little bit. At last, Scott and Janet decide to find a job for Robin Hood. He becomes an English teacher in Zhanjiang Finance and Trade School and likes his new job and life in China very much.

No comments: