Wednesday, January 02, 2008

More Letters from Students

Some highlights from a recent batch of letters from students...

Today is New Year's! I and Milos go to shopping. Magnitude people on row great. Very noisy and lots of fun.
"Go to shopping" is a Chinglish expression that is likely the bane of all English teachers in China. That and its companion phrase, "how to say?" Points for using the word "magnitude" though.
Last nigh my friends and me counted backwards in our dormitory. Did you count backwards? Happy New Year.
It took me a second to catch the counting backwards as referring to the countdown to the New Year: 10, 9, 8, 7, ... Happy New Year's!
The winter holiday come here. During holiday, you want or not away from China to go home? If you go home, help me say "hello" to your family, please.
"Hello everyone," from CoCo!

And now, for the more mushy stuff...
Last week, our class took a photo with you. I felt very happy. Because maybe you are the only one foreign teacher in my life. So, I can take a photo with you is my honor! I will kept the photo until I change an old woman. China have one speech: You as my teacher only one day, you will become my father all my life!
Most of the students are just very genuinely kind and great to work with. On days when I'm out in town and getting frustrated from being stared down and cat-called at, I try to remember the students.
Please allow me to avail myself of this chance to extend my New Year's greets to you. First of all, I wish you happy new year and may the new year bring your family good health and happiness. Secondly, I do apology for my wrong doing that I didn't deliver my wish to you at the arrival of Christmas timely. Finally, I admire you very much cause you are so nice, easygoing. I enjoy making friends with you.
Again, the students can be a real pleasure to work with.

I started the letter writing campaign for this class, because as accounting majors, I found their level of spoken English to be very low. The letters give them an outlet to "say" things they may not be able to communicate with me orally and provide a great chance to make sure they are practicing and thinking about English outside of class.

I hope it has been a help to them, I know I've sure enjoyed reading what they have to say and writing back.

No comments: