Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Sandwich, A Sandwich, My Kingdom for a Sandwich!

Just one more note of praise on the food in Chengdu!

For lunch today, Janet and I found a Subway that had just opened in downtown Chengdu and enjoyed our first sandwiches in nearly 7 weeks. It is funny because I wouldn't realize that I would miss sandwiches so much, but there is really nothing like them here (which makes packing a lunch much more difficult). While I think my turkey sub was actually ham, it was tasty. My combo meal was rounded out with a bag of "Italian Red Meat" flavored chips, which taste oddly like spaghetti sauce.

Many Chinese people that we have spoken with seem to think that all Americans love sandwiches (though the are sometimes confused on the difference between a sandwich and hamburger) and maybe compared to them we do.

This evening, it was back downtown to Brick Oven Pizza where we enjoyed a Pizza and a Caesar Salad. Good salads also happen to be in extremely short supply over here. It is funny to think about the foods that are commonplace back home but seem exponentially better when you miss them and can find them abroad.

No comments: