Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Second Glance

Yesterday we opened a local bank account and went to Century Mart for shopping. It is kind of like a 3-story, very chaotic Wal-Mart. We stocked up on some basic supplies (like toilet paper) on the second floor and then picked up bottled water and a few other food supplies on the third floor. My total was 45 yuan, or about $6.

Last night we had a welcome banquet and orientation. The food so far has been amazing. We eat three meals a day in the cafeteria and everything is laid out buffet style. There are generally about 10 or so dishes to choose from. I was initially worried about losing weight, but with our meal plan here I don't think that will be a problem.

Today we will begin classes. For the first week our classes do not start until 1:30 since it is the final exam week for regular students here. After that, we will begin classes at 8:30 and they will run until about 12:20.

As of right now, I have not yet found a way to get pictures online, since the computers in our dorms do not have USB ports, but I'll try to find if other computers on campus do. Also, I can update my blog, but can not actually view it. So, I can't see any comments that are left or even my on updates once posted. If you want to say anything about a post or ask a question, please send me an e-mail and I'll be able to get back to you.

That's all for now. I just wanted to leave another post to let everyone know that things are going better and I think Janet and I are both feeling a bit more confident now, though the language barrier is still going to be a big issue for a while. Hopefully as we begin classes today we can begin working towards overcoming that...

No comments: