Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Impressions

Yesterday was a long day.

Janet and I made it safely into China and are now in Tianjin.

Our plane, a 777, was fairly nice, but I was only about to get about 3-4 hours of sleep during our 13.5 hour flight. Needless to say, we were both very tired once we finally arrived at Beijing. As our plane was descending on the city, I was wondering when we'd break through the clouds so we could see the city. After we landed, we discovered it was just a smoggy, gray day in Beijing. The one nice thing, was not having to change my watch, since it is a 12-hour time difference (we are 12 hours ahead of EST).

After getting our bags and finally getting onto our pass, we had a nearly 3 hour drive from the airport to Tianjin, despite the fact that the cities are only about 85 miles apart. The traffic was terrible, the skies bleak, and the cars do not brake for pedestrians or bikers. In all honesty, it was pretty miserable.

Last night we checked into our dorms. I'm temporarily in a somewhat removed and older dorm into the regular students finish classes next week and me and a few others can join the rest of our program in the regular dorms). After eating, I went to bed to pass out.

This morning, after finally being able to sleep, I feel much better. The skies outside are blue and I am feeling a bit better about being here for the next year. I think over the coming couple of weeks we will get adjusted and begin to enjoy our stay as we get to visit the tourist spots and start to learn a bit more of the language.

No doubt there will be many challenges ahead, but I am already feeling more optimistic and looking forward to getting into the swing of things.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Honey! It was such a joy to hear your voice again!!! THEN, I was so excited to find that you had already made a post! As I write you are hopefully going to bed or already there for some much needed sleep. Sorry you've had a rocky start to your journey but glad things are looking a little better. How was the welcome banquet?When do your classes begin?

I am busy cooking for our "Welcome
Dinner" for the new pastor. It should be a nice day at church. I'll enjoy letting folks know you've both arrived safely.

I pray you'll both wake even more refreshed and optimistic. Remember to pray and allow God to keep you safe and guide your steps. Looking forward to getting a phone number and addresses for both of you. I love you immensely!

PS I layed on your bed and held the panda for a few minutes to feel close to you. Made me feel better about you being away. ILY